This is Financial Literacy 101 but better, because there is free pizza! Learn to manage your money at ‘By the Slice’ sessions, where there will be discussion topics like: budgeting, account basics, building your credit, identity theft, etc. in a casual, conversational way. These sessions are typically an hour long and are hosted next to the on-campus UCU branches at the University of Maine, University of Southern Maine, and the University of Maine at Presque Isle.
I joined Campus Branch Manager, Lesley Ridge for a session at USM’s Gorham location on Tuesday, where we had a discussion about identity theft. There were tons of great tips being brought up and the conversation was very organic. I walked away having met some new faces and gained some knowledge that I’ll be applying to my everyday life. Oh, and the pizza was amazing – did I mention it was free!? Here are some of the helpful tips that were discussed:
- Keep personal documents in a safe
- Examine your credit union account statements regularly/sign up for e-alerts
- Monitor your credit
- Shred personal documents before throwing them away
- Collect mail promptly to reduce the chance of theft
- Avoid online banking/shopping on public WiFi networks
- Install firewalls and virus-detection software on your home computer
- Create complex passwords that identity thieves cannot guess easily
- Guard your Social Security number/don’t keep your Social Security card in your wallet
- Leave personal details off social media
For more tips on foiling identity theft, click here.
University of Southern Maine, Gorham Campus sessions:
Brooks Student Center next to UCU Branch
Tuesday, Jan. 30 - 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 27 - 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Tuesday, Mar. 20 - 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Tuesday, Apr. 24 - 12:00 - 1:00 pm
I hope to see you at the next session!