I like to stick to a healthy diet. I also like to splurge on sweets that are worth it. These are my splurge of the month and they are so worth it.
Summer is coming to a close. The nights are a little cooler and the days are getting shorter, but it's still August for one more day. I know summer doesn't officially end until later in September, but its just not the same after August fades away. For Extreme Week I wanted to bring you a delicious sweet treat to put a seal on a perfect summer. Nothing says summer dessert to me quite like ice cream sandwiches.
You can't help but smile when you see rainbow sprinkles surrounding sweet vanilla ice cream between two golden cookies. They're just so fun to make and even better to eat, though they do get a little messy. You'll have a few sticky fingers after enjoying one of these ice cream sandwiches.
Enjoy the (unoffical) last day of summer today. Take a walk or go for a run outside. Eat your breakfast on the porch, walk the dog just before sunset, and enjoy a campfire with friends. Take advantage of every last bit of summer sun as it sinks behind the trees. It'll be back next year, I promise, but that doesn't mean you won't miss it in the meantime.
Candy Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups M&M candies
Ice cream of your choice (I used vanilla almond milk ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a stand mixer or with an electric beater until creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture.
- Add M&M's, stirring by hand to prevent breaking the candies.
- Place rounded spoonfuls of cookie dough on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes. (Follow my baking tips for the perfect cookie.)
- Allow cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, place a scoop of ice cream between two similar sized cookies. Roll edges in rainbow sprinkles.
- Immediately wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. It may be helpful to do this with a friend so the ice cream does not melt before you can wrap the sandwiches.
- Allow to set in the freezer for about an hour before enjoying. This will prevent some melting while you eat.
What are you doing on the last day of August?