In my perfect universe, teleportation would be possible, concert tickets would be free, and I could eat cookie dough without worrying about the raw eggs. With this recipe, at least one of those is possible.
Okay, so maybe this week's Fresh Baked Friday recipe won't allow me teleport or get me into concerts free-of-charge (well, maybe if I brought a few truffles to the ticket takers?) but it definitely takes care of that third thing on my list for a perfect universe. We all know how delicious raw cookie dough can be, but we've all heard the risk of consuming raw eggs. Finally, there's a solution.
In this recipe, the raw eggs are replaced with sweetened condensed milk, making the dough completely safe and absolutely delicious to eat. This dough tastes just like the regular dough with raw eggs. I'm telling you, it is life changing.
The truffles come together very quickly and are a huge hit. My roommates were baffled that they could eat as much cookie dough as they wanted without me warning them of salmonella. Try 'em this weekend!
Cookie Dough Truffles
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (I used low-fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups chocolate chips (divided)
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- Prepare a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar in a bowl or stand mixer and beat until well mixed.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and salt and stir to combine.
- Stir in flour 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated and dough is uniform.
- Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove dough balls from freezer.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine remaining 2 cups of chocolate chips and vegetable shortening. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring each time until fully melted.
- Using a toothpick, dip frozen dough balls into chocolate and place back on cookie sheet with wax paper. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen truffles, so it is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
I hope everyone has a sweet weekend!