This week's Fresh Baked Friday features recipes from the LYFS Challenge. With just $20 I was able to make three meals and a dessert!
Check out the LYFS episode to see Jenn and I battle out in shopping and cooking challenge. Below are the recipes featured in the video. These meals are very easy to make and they use low cost items that will fit in your grocery budget.
Chicken Pot Pie
1 package premade pie crusts
1 1/2 cups chunks of cooked chicken (about two boneless breasts)
3/4 cups frozen peas
3/4 cups cooked carrots, chopped
2 cans chicken gravy
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out first pie crust in bottom of pie pan.
- Layer cooked chicken, frozen peas, cooked carrots in pan.
- Pour gravy over layered filling and top with second pie crust.
- Cut two slices in top crust and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Chicken Fried Rice
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup cooked carrots
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup chunks of cooked chicken
2 tbsp light soy sauce
- In a frying pan over medium heat combine oil, frozen peas and cooked carrots. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Move peas and carrots off to one side of the pan and scramble lightly beaten egg.
- Stir scrambled egg, peas and carrots together. Add cooked rice, chicken, and light soy sauce.
- Stir over low heat until heated through.
Mac & Cheese
1/2 lb. box elbow noodles
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 cup skim milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen peas
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Using a whisk, stir in flour.
- Add skim milk and turn to high heat. Stir constantly with whisk until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and continue to stir with whisk until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a spoon stir in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir in cooked pasta and frozen peas.
- Transfer to casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
1 package brownie mix
1 egg white
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 13” x 9” brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!