There are very few things I love more than a homemade, fresh baked pizza pie on a Friday night. I’ve been making homemade pizzas for years (I got it from my dad) so I wanted to share my favorite dough recipe and some tips, tricks and ideas for the perfect crust every time.
The key to a delicious pizza is pre-baking the crust. Here's my favorite recipe and the full scoop on what you need to do for the perfect pizza.
Kylie’s Favorite Pizza Dough
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups flour (+/- 1/2 cup)
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together warm water and sugar. Pour yeast over sugar and water mixture and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy (this is called proofing). No need to stir the yeast when you add it to the water for the first time.
- When the yeast has proofed, stir in salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano and olive oil until combined.
- By hand: Stir in flour with a wooden spoon a little at a time until it becomes to thick to stir. Transfer to a floured surface and continue to add the flour by kneading. By mixer: Using the hook attachment, add flour to liquid mixture a little at a time, allowing the mixer to mix and knead the dough after each addition. The dough should be slightly tacky, but not too sticky. Add additional flour as needed.
- When all flour is added, knead for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl coated with olive oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled. This should take about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4” thick. Brush the dough with a little extra olive oil.
- Important! Before you put any toppings on the pizza, pop it into the oven and pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes. This will give you a more evenly cooked dough without burning your toppings.
- Complete the pre-baked dough with your choice of toppings and baked for another 8 minutes.
Top your pizza however you want! My specialties are the ones pictured above, barbeque chicken and buffalo chicken ranch.
Barbeque Chicken Pizza
Spread a thin layer of your favorite barbeque sauce over a pre-baked pizza dough. Mix chopped or shredded cooked chicken with extra barbeque sauce and top the pizza with the chicken and shredded Italian cheeses. No tomato sauce needed for this recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Ranch
Prepare your pre-baked pizza dough with a generous layer of your favorite tomato sauce. Top with a blend of mozzarella, cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. In a small bowl, combine shredded or chopped cooked chicken with Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce and a small amount of your favorite ranch dressing. Top the pizza with the chicken.
I hope you enjoy some homemade pizza tonight!