I was planning to postpone Fresh Baked Friday this week because of the Search deadline (it's this afternoon at 3!) but then my boyfriend made this dish for me and I absolutely had to share.
Imagine a world where spaghetti is considered healthy. Sounds lovely, right? With spaghetti squash, this dream becomes reality. I had never tried the yellow gourd before, but I picked one up at the store after seeing many of my favorite healthy eating blogs boasting about the nutritional value. When cooked, the flesh of the squash peels out of the shell and looks just like spaghetti noodles. The flavor is mild, barely noticeable covered in sauce, but it twirls around a fork just like startchy pasta would.
Spaghetti squash offers fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C, among others. To top it all off, it's gluten free. While one cup of cooked spaghetti has around 220 calories, one cup of cooked spaghetti squash has around 42 calories.
This dish is a twist on classic spaghetti with meat sauce, but trust me, you won't miss the original recipe at all.
Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meat Sauce
1 large spaghetti squash
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less, to taste)
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut spaghetti squash length wise and remove the seeds. Brush flesh with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place face down in glass baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until the middle is tender and peels apart easily.
- While squash is baking, you can prepare the turkey meat sauce. Sautee chopped onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium head for about 3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add crushed tomato and spices.
- Cook until sauce begins to bubble, then reduce heat and let simmer until squash is cooked.
- Served sauce over spaghetti squash and top with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Thank you to Ari's Menu for this delicious recipe and to my boyfriend for preparing it for me while I was crazy busy with work.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Thank you to those brave men and women who gave and continue to give their lives to protect our country.