Sometimes you just need cheese stuffed carbs. The temperature really started to plummet these last few days and all I wanted was a comforting bowl of tomato soup, something warm and cheesy for dunking, and a cozy blanket on the couch. When I found these rolls via Foodgawker and saw that they were inspired by The Hunger Games series, I absolutely had to give them a try. Man, am I glad I did.
Mozzarella cheese stuffed into a buttery roll, topped with more melted cheese. I dare you to try and eat just one.
I've made these several times since discovering the recipe. They're pretty simple to put together, even for the most novice bread baker. Bring them to your family holiday gatherings to really wow your relatives. They're too good to keep to yourself!
Stuffed Cheese Rolls
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add yeast to warm water in a large bowl or stand mixer bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, garlic powder, melted butter and olive oil. Stir with spoon until combined.
- If using a stand mixer, use dough hook and add flour a little at a time until combined. Allow to knead for 10 minutes. If mixing by hand, add flour a little at a time until all 3 cups are incorporated. Turn over onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. For help with a kneading technique, see this video.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with wet cloth. Allow dough to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Cut your 8 oz. of mozzarella cheese into small cubes. Set aside.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle on a floured surface. It should be about 1/4” thick.
- Cut the dough into 20 to 24 square sections using a knife or pizza cutter.
- Place one chunk of cheese inside each of the square pieces of dough. Wrap the dough around the cheese, pinching it together on the bottom so the cheese stays inside and you have a round roll.
- Place all the rolls in baking dish, pinched side down, and top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. For a more golden look, brush with melted butter.
Thank you to Yammie's Noshery for this crowd-pleasing recipe.
Enjoy your weekend, everyone!