If you're looking for a cheap, healthy and easy meal for your weekend breakfast, look no further. This light frittata uses sweet tomatos and vitamin-rich baby spinach to create a gourmet-style breakfast on the cheap. You'll impress your friends with the fancy name, too.
I love this dish because it is low in calories and high in protein, thanks to the egg whites. It only takes a few minutes to throw together and the ingredients are really cheap (about a dollar per serving).
Tomato Spinach Frittata
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 cups baby spinach
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 eggs plus 6 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a frying pan, combine olive oil, tomatoes, spinach and garlic. Sautee for 4 minutes or until spinach is slightly wilted.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites. Add shredded cheese and stir.
- Add tomato and spinach mixture to eggs and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased 9” pie plate or baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, place dish about 8 inches from top of the oven and turn to broil. Broil for 2 minutes or until top is just golden brown.
Serve it with a side of your favorite toast or make it into a breakfast sandwich by putting a piece between two slices of whole wheat bread. Yum!
I hope you have a happy and healthy weekend!